Wild Fires? No Problem!
Summer is almost around the corner and in Southern California it gets extremely hot and wild fires strike instantly. With wild fires comes soot/ash damage to your house. SERVPRO of Sylmar / San Fernando has crews that are professionally trained to take care of your soot/ash damage. Having soot all over your home or when you turn your A/C on can be a complete headache, but if you call us at 818-365-3736, we can take that headache away from you instantly. We are well prepared for what the summer holds for us because we are familiar with the wild fires that take place every year. Always remember to call us if help is needed with any fire damage to your home. We will be more than happy to assist you with that.
Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us!
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (818)365-3736
When Storms or Floods hit, WE ARE READY!
SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Sylmar or San Fernando we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today
Restoring your Sylmar/San Fernando Property after a Water Damage
Flooding and water damage events at Sylmar/San Fernando commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando
SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando is ready for anything!
SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando is ready for any disaster that strikes. Your business is as important to us like it is to you. Our number one goal as a restoration company is to you get your business back to its original setting and act like the water/fire damage "never even happened". We are here to restore your business and restore the lives of your customers as well. Water, fire, mold, soot/ash, toilet overflow, whatever you can think of, SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando will make it "like it never happened". We do not just have that as our motto, we live up to and will work side by side with you to restore anything that happened to your business, and that is a promise. Call us at 818-365-3736 if anything takes place at your business, our crews can take down anything that comes their ways.
In Sylmar/San Fernando, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold,Call Us Today – (818)951-6780
Mold Problems? Call SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando!
Mold is dangerous, yet something that can be taken care of instantly. Coming across mold at a property isn't fun, but if you do the right thing fast there should be nothing to worry about. SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando has trained mold remediation technicians that are ready to tackle down anything.
Spotting mold can be frustrating and can be confusing at times, but here is a basic list of what mold is and should SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando help you with any current and future mold issues.
- Mold can be found anywhere, as long as there is moisture mold has the chance to grow.
- Mold can grow on drywall, wood studs, carpets, food, paper, and even on insulation. Mold is reproduced through spores and when mold spores land on wet areas in the house that is when it starts to grow. That spore digests whatever damp item it lands on and it grows in order for it to survive. Once that mold fungus is in contact with moisture bacteria is created and then mold starts to grow within days.
- When extra moisture accumulates in an area or specifically on a material, mold will start to form and grow. If there is constant moisture in an area, hence the bathroom and the kitchen always make sure that after your steamy hot shower you wipe everything down. Wipe your walls and mirror in the bathroom with a dry towel to prevent from constant moisture being left on the materials in the bathroom after a shower. When washing dishes or using excess water in the Kitchen make sure everything is wiped down dry to avoid mold spores to be created and have mold grow.
- Mold spores are not visible to the naked eye, you will not be able to spot them until they you see them in the form of mold. Be extra cautious to the rooms and materials being in contact with moisture on a daily basis.
- Prior to mold being visible to the naked eye, you may be smelling a musty or earthy smell. When this occurs immediately contact SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando, and we will have our mold crew come out and inspect your property for these first signs of mold. Do not ignore signs like smell, you can be able to prevent the mold from growing more.
- Mold can appear on the outside of the walls as a stain or discoloration and come in a fuzzy form, when you spot these signs of mold SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando will remove the growing mold spores and return the area back to the normal levels where there is no mold spores near.
- Everyone is aware that all molds, weather green or black, have the potential to cause health effects.
- When the mold remediation technicians of SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando are eliminating the mold growth it is done under a properly built containment where it is sealed and does not have access to spread mold spores into other unaffected areas. After SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando are complete with the mold remediation, an Industrial Hygienist will schedule to confirm that mold is no longer present. They will be taking a count of spore to confirm to us SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando and the homeowners that mold is no longer present.
- Mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling the moisture by wiping down dry to not let dampness sit on materials.
- The reason behind mold remediation is to remove the mold that is present at the property so we can prevent human contact and damage to the building materials.
If you suspect mold at your property, feel free to call SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando at (818) 365-3736 and get connected to one of our highly trained mold remediation technicians.
The Hazards of water
Hey SERVPRO Sylmar/San Fernando readers! We’ve been getting a lot of calls about water damages lately. We here at SERVPRO know that there can a lot of questions that come along with discovering a water damage in your home, especially when it comes to your health and potential health hazards when a loss is discovered. Our friends over at SERVPRO Saginaw put together some great thoughts on the topic. Read on to gain insight on what hazards can occur as a result of a water damage and why it’s best to let the professionals handle the clean up.
The obvious result of water damage is structural---whether severe or cosmetic. And unfortunately, structural damage can wind up costing you thousands of dollars in repairs. The result of water damage can also cause the growth of toxic mold and mildew. If left untreated, this mold proliferation can be a serious hazard to your health. So let’s get to it.
Hazard #1: Mold Growth -
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you should have your property dried and cleaned within 24-48 hours after the initial water onslaught. This practice will help decrease the likelihood of mold growth. Although you may be capable of starting the drying and cleaning processes, it is important to know that mold can grow in areas of the home that you can't see. Thus, simply cleaning and drying your carpet will not always be effective in preventing mold growth, especially if there is a large quantity of unwanted water. The mold can still grow in different areas of your home, including the carpet padding, underneath wallpaper, behind the drywall, along ceilings and baseboards, in voids and furniture.
As noted by the EPA, there are several health hazards that can result from exposure to mold. It is also important to note that the mold clean up process, performed by you, can lead to exposure to fungi. For this reason, professional water damage restoration technicians from SERVPRO will wear special protective gear and utilize state-of-the-art equipment for mold cleanup and the prevention of mold dispersion throughout your Saginaw home.
Hazard #2: Exposure to Sewage -
Exposure to raw sewage is dangerous because it contains parasites, viruses, and bacteria such as E. coli. The sewage can also contain pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and pesticides. The EPA has stated that contaminated water can lead to the contraction of illnesses such as tuberculosis, dysentery, hepatitis, tetanus, and cholera. Safely stay away from the hazard of sewage water--blackwater--and let the experts execute the cleanup and dry out.
So… Let The Professionals at SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando Assist You!
We are passionate about helping our customers make their water damage loss “Like it never even happened.” . So no matter if it’s a leaky pipe underneath your bathroom sink or a busted water main that’s flooded your entire property, our team will get you taken care of so you can get back to a safe and HEALTHY state.
Happy Friday SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando Readers!
Ever found yourself in a situation where your home or business has been affected by a flood? What can you do in those precious moments before help arrives to respond to the situation?
We have another article to share from our friends over at FEMA with some tips on what YOU can do to clean up after a flood. And don't forget the most important tip of them all - for a team that is faster to any disaster, including your water damage at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando for help!
"Flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States and can happen anywhere.
Flooding can occur slowly over many days leaving enough time to evacuate in advance or prepare to be home for several days without power, water, or access to roads or services. Or, as in the case of flash flooding, it can happen very quickly with little or no warning and you may need to move quickly to make it to higher ground.
In the event of a flood, offers the following tips to reduce the risk of damage to your home or business:
Elevate critical utilities, such as electrical panels, switches, sockets, wiring, appliances, and heating systems;
In areas with repetitive flooding, consider elevating the building;
Waterproof basement areas and make sure your sump pump is working; and
Move furniture, valuables, and important documents to a safe place.
After a flood, timing is of the essence. Water left in your home for a significant period of time can cause mold, and even in some cases, structural damage. It is important to clean your home as soon as possible following a flood.
Keep in mind that extreme care is necessary when cleaning out your home following a flood. America’s Prepare Athon!’s how-to flood guide also provides recommendations on how to best protect yourself and your property after a flood:
Avoid wading in floodwaters as they often contain dangerous debris like broken glass, metal, dead animals, or contaminants, such as sewage, gasoline, and oil;
Do not enter a damaged building unless it has been cleared by authorities. There may be structural damage to the foundation, electrical hazards, or hidden damage;
Take precautions and wear appropriate protective equipment, such as gloves, safety glasses, rubber boots, and masks that protect you from dust and other dangerous particles;
Do not touch electrical equipment if it is wet or you’re standing in water;
Shut off all utilities to a flooded home or building;
Clean and disinfect anything that got wet; and
Remove and replace any drywall or other paneling that was underwater."
Well SERVPRO readers, in case you hadn’t already noticed, El Nino has arrived in Southern California! Meteorologists say that we will be hit with a series of storms as the week continues, and storms are forecasted to dump 2-4 inches along the California coast through Friday.
While this may be great news in light of the drought California has been having, there can also be unforeseen complications that come as a result of this major upswing in our average rainfall. Flash floods could affect Los Angeles County communities that experienced wildfires last summer and fall, with persistent wet conditions putting areas at risk for mudslides. Our readers may also experience unexpected leaks and drips, causing water damage in their homes. For all of these potential emergencies, SERVPRO Sylmar/San Fernando is prepared and ready to respond.
And while we’re out tending to the chaos El Nino can bring, we wanted to offer you a few tips to help safeguard your home from water loss and disaster this El Nino season – especially with a break in the rains headed our way on Friday!
Tip #1: Check those gutters! This can be a simple but very effective way to prevent unwanted water from entering your home or business. Gutters that are clogged with debris from overhanging trees, trash, or roofing materials can easily clog the drain and shuffle unwanted water your way.
Tip #2: Tarp up any unfinished roofing projects. Going along with our first tip, small openings in the roof of your home and business can quickly become large openings with heavy rain, causing water damage inside your building. Make sure to give your local roofing company a call and get those potential problem areas patched up ASAP.
Tip #3: Examine your window glaze and compound. Often times, glazing compound can shrink during the warmer months, making windows more susceptible to unwanted rain water penetration. Your local contractor can help patch this up for you, ensuring that you are set and ready for even the heaviest of El Nino’s rains! Another helpful tip… make sure you close your windows before going to bed or leaving the home!
And finally, Tip #4 (the most important!): Should you find yourself in a situation where you do have a water damage emergency, call SERVPRO Sylmar/San Fernando. Our staff is prepped and ready to respond and help make your El Nino disaster “Like it never even happened.” .